Home    Workshops    Members Only    Contests    Join    Contact us                       RWA Chapter

Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Art of Self-Actualization by Tigris Eden

Self-actualization, according to theorist Kurt Goldstein, is the motive to realize one’s full potential. It could be in your quest for knowledge, spiritual enlightenment expressing one’s creativity, or the desire to give to society. You don’t have to obtain all to reach this stage in your life. A self-actualizer is a person who is living creatively and fully using his or her potentials. I think it’s very important to do what makes you happy. Every day, I strive to reach my full potential in whatever activity I’m currently pursuing. Self-actualization means to me is I have to be willing to take my goals and aspirations to their fullest potential.  Aristotle said, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

With that being said, I’m repeatedly working on honing my craft until it becomes second nature, habit. That was my moment of self-actualization. Seriously, the light bulb went off for me. I had to remind myself that I couldn’t be a part-time writer, but a full-time writer. (Write something every day) That’s not to say I don’t have a day job, because I do. Everyone has their own goals, each goal is different. Your goals will not be the same as mine. Full time for me, means different things. Example, every day for the past year and a half I’ve made it my mission to write something every day. That for me is fulltime. It’s my habit, it’s my way of meeting my goal to become the best writer I can be.
Writing is a creative process, it’s an art form. We blend, shape, and control the process and flow of words. If done the right way, we can elicit emotion in our readers
When I think back to the beginning of my journey, I’m reminded about all the times I stopped to reflect on what was important to me. Reflection is key, and I think that being brutally honest with one’s self is important to that process. Another fact is what I’ve come to learn is self-fulfilling prophecy. No, I’m not going biblical on you, but one’s conscience can make or break a person. Positive reinforcement is key when wanting to become the next best thing. I hear people tell me all the time how hard it is to get into this business and to stay there and be productive. To that I say, bring on the challenge. Is it hard work? Yes. Are you going to doubt yourself at some point in the process? Absolutely. We’re human. Emotions can be our worst enemy or our best friend. The thing to realize is you must constantly strive to break the mold on yourself. Set goals, reach them, and then set new ones.

Creativity is genius. Literally. We all have a fantastical story to tell. We’ve all had true life experiences that was can draw from. Apply what you know and be receptive to learn more. Rinse and repeat. Be self-aware, and above all have fun.

My art of self-actualization is simple. Create, create, create, and create some more. Our stories are our creations, we mold them from the ground up and make them beautiful. When I go to my day job, if the muse hits me, I oblige it and write it down. I talk to my writing buddies it’s good to stay connected. After work I drive home in Houston traffic and think of ways to improve what I’m currently working on. I try and set a mini-goal every day. It could be something simple as edit 10 pages or write 10 new pages. I try to think of positive things to reinforce in my life. Work-life balance is important to me, and because I have two jobs, the day job and the writing, sometimes I get lost in the story and have to explain myself to my family. For the most part they are pretty understanding, but we have our moments. I know you all can attest to that. My questions to you are when did you become self-actualized and what are you doing to meet your dreams?

Tigris Eden, described by Ty Langston, is beloved mother, friend, cook, accountant, author, wife and weaver of stories long and short. Family, writing, music, and movies are her life. She aspires to be the best at what she does, inside and outside her circle of crazy. You can find her stalking her author friends on Facebook and twitter. You can also find her on her website at www.authortigriseden.com .

1 comment:

Nancy Lee Badger said...

Honing my craft...would love to get back to that. I just rleased a novel I worked on for 8 or 9 months, and now must take a break. Thanks for sharing your journey.