Welcome dragons, witches, ghosties, vampires, shape shifters, unicorns, and any creature your imagination can conjure up in a galaxy far, far away, in a time long past, or in your very own backyard.
**NEW: Enter contest today to reserve your spot, but you can upload your file any time until contest deadline!
2011 On The Far Side Contest for Unpublished Authors
Sponsor: Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal Special-Interest Chapter
Fee: $20 FF&P members / $25 non-FF&P members
Deadline: April 15, 2012
Eligibility: Must not be published in full length fiction (40,000+) for the genre entering/or not published in genre entering for past 5 years
Enter: 2 page maximum synopsis (OPTIONAL) and first 20 pages of manuscript
To enter, go to the website http://www.romance-ffp.com/OTFS.cfm
Payment via PayPal is preferred.
2011 Categories and Final Judges:
Romantic Elements: Liz Pelletier, Publisher, Entangled Publishing
Hard Science Fiction/SF/Futuristic: TBA
Dark/Light/General Paranormal: Renee Rocco, Publisher, Lyrical Press, Inc.
Time Travel/Steampunk/Historical with Paranormal Elements: Deb Werksman, Editor, Sourcebooks
Dark/Urban/General Fantasy: Laura Bradford, Bradford Literary Agency
Young Adult: Kevan Lyon, Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
PLEASE READ RULES CAREFULLY!
1. All entrants must be valid members of RWA National® with a valid RWA® number.
2. Entries shall consist of first 20 pages of manuscript plus an optional, unjudged 2 page maximum synopsis of the novel. A prologue and/or second chapter may be included if within total page guidelines.
3. Do not include illustrations, author bio/photos, vocabulary lists, or footnotes.
4. Entries shall be in standard manuscript format, 12 pt Courier or Courier New font or 14 pt Times New Roman font, 1" margins, and double spaced. (Documents not in these formats will be disqualified and contest entry fees will be forfeited.)
5. The title and category should be on top left of the page, page number on top right.
6. The author's name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript or synopsis. Entries bearing the author's name on them shall be disqualified and entry fee will be forfeited.
7. Entries must be submitted by midnight EST April 15, 2012. If requirement is not met, entries will be unopened and entry fees will be forfeited. Payment must also to be received by Contest Coordinator before deadline.
8. NEW!! Entry forms may be submitted in advance of file upload. Entrants will receive an email with instructions for how to edit their entry form and/or upload or re-upload their files. No changes may be made after the contest deadline.
9. Entries must be received in RTF (Rich Text Format) files only. (To convert your file to RTF, open the document, go into File, click on Save As and choose RTF format. This will create a new document with the same title in RTF format.)
10. No more than TWO (2) entries per entrant per category.
Questions: Please contact the Contest Coordinator, Qaey Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org